University of Oxford medical students
Placements in the Psychological Medicine Service (lasting four weeks) are part of the psychiatry course taken in year five of the Oxford medical degree. We currently have five medical students working with us at any one time. In addition, we provide four to six week Special Study Module (SSM) placements.
Junior doctors training with the Oxford Deanery
We have posts and placements in our clinical service for junior doctors who are at various stages in their postgraduate training to become consultants or GPs.
- Foundation doctors, who are on the two-year Foundation Programme, which comes between medical school and specialist/GP training, can join us for a one-week taster.
- GPVTS trainees, who have completed the Foundation Programme and are undertaking the three-year General Practice Vocational Training Scheme to become GPs, can work with us in a six-month post.
- Core trainees in psychiatry, who have completed the Foundation Programme and are undertaking three years of specialist training to become Psychiatrists, can work with us in a six-month post.
- Higher trainees in psychiatry, who have completed their core training in Psychiatry can work with us in the following ways:
- A one-year post for trainees in old age psychiatry, general adult psychiatry, or dual old age psychiatry and general adult psychiatry, leading to an endorsement in liaison psychiatry.
- A one-week placement for trainees in old age psychiatry.
- Special interest sessions in general liaison psychiatry, maternity psychiatry, neuropsychiatry and palliative care psychiatry.
We welcome enquiries from junior doctors or medical students wishing to gain further experience in psychiatry. Unfortunately we are unable to offer placements to individuals who have not completed medical training or those not currently studying for a medical degree. For further information please contact Zehanah Izmeth (Consultant in Psychological Medicine & Educational Lead for the Psychological Medicine Service) at firstname.lastname@example.org.